Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The first days

After delivery came recovery and getting to know our little boy!  Wrapping our heads around being parents was insane.  John's emotions stayed in check through the whole delivery and that whole first night.  He had a sweet tender moment as I held the baby the next morning in the NICU and we decided on a name.

The names we had discussed were Johnson Lyle, Johnson Keith, Stewart John or Walter John.  Both of us were leaning toward Johnson and Stewart flew out the window as soon as we saw him.  That night right before I fell asleep, (John was already asleep) I thought "It needs to be Johnson Michael".  My dad has always been there for me and been one of the greatest influences in my life, but having him stay through a long and gruesome delivery made my love for him grow even stronger.  My baby needed his name!  The next morning when we were alone in the NICU I said to John "How about Johnson Michael".  He smiled and said "Ok let's try it out".  I snuggled my sweet baby and said "Johnson?" and he made the sweetest little squeaking sound!  Our hearts melted and it was a done deal.  After that, each time John or I would say "Johnson" he would let out the squeak. :)

Baby J had to stay in the NICU for the first day and a half so they could track his glucose and stabilize it.  It was hard having him in there but the nurses were awesome and we could spend as much time with him as we wanted.  We learned to feed him and John gave him his first bath, which both daddy and baby loved!



I was so pumped full of fluids that every inch of my body was swollen tight, but holding that little guy was the most amazing feeling!






John picked out his "going home outfit".  A little onsie with whales that said "Little Squirt" on it :)


Going home was scary but exciting.  Starting a life as a family of 3!












2 comments:

  1. I loved this whole thing! You are amazing Liv! I'm so glad he's here safe and he is as adorable as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet and tender. I will be forever grateful that I was allowed to be a part of this miracle. Thank you sweet baby girl. I love Johnson Michael.

    ReplyDelete