Friday, December 18, 2015

The True Meaning of Christmas

This year I have had my eyes opened to a new aspect of Christmas.  I have always loved giving gifts to others and seeing the excitement on their faces.  I have also always been in a situation where I could go out and purchase gifts that I thought my friends and family would enjoy.  This year is no exception.

The reason this year is different is because of the 21 sweet 2nd graders I have had the opportunity to teach for the last 80 days.  I have always felt connected to my students, but this year, for some reason, they have touched me more than usual.

A little background: This year is my first year as a teacher AND a mom.  I have a sweet 5.5 month old baby boy whom I adore.  I talk about him constantly and my students are absolutely OBSESSED with him.  He has only come to school twice, but both times they have been ecstatic to see him!  They are constantly drawing him pictures, asking about him and wanting me to show them videos of funny things he does.  He is definitely the most popular kid in school! ;)

As Christmas approached my students started bringing in their usual gifts.  However, this time they were not for me.  The were for Baby J.  Every single day since Thanksgiving I have had kids bring me something to give to Johnson.  The sentiment is so sweet, but the gifts they bring are even sweeter.  I work in a Title 1 school where most of my students live at  poverty level.  These kids have very little when it comes to worldly things.  That is why it makes my heart swell each time I open a gift and see what they have chosen to give my baby, who is much more privileged than they are to begin with.  Johnson has been given toys that have been well worn and obviously loved.  I've had kids bring him burp used burp cloths, little trinkets from home, books they love and even a bib.

 Each time I see the generosity these children display it brings me to tears.  As I watched them open the simple gifts I gave them today at our class party I had to hold back the tears.  I am so blessed to be able to support my baby and give him everything he could want.  I am even more blessed that I have the chance to work with these little 7-8 year olds as I teach them reading, writing and math and they teach me even greater lessons about how to be a good person.

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this! Children are so giving and innocent. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete