Sunday, May 27, 2012

Home Sweet Home

Ok, now that I have calmed down about the moving process, here are a few pictures of our "new" place.  First, I will give you a little background on the house.  It was built in the 50's by my Ballam grandparents and is the home in which my dad grew up.  It has had two owners since that time and we are excited to have it back in the family.  It is in really good condition, considering it is 60 years old, but it has some work to do (mostly paint and carpet issues).  And now....for your virtual tour. (High definition photos taken from my cell phone :))


This is the front of the house.  As soon as the weather warms up that bush in front is the first thing to go!

This is the living room and my favorite room in the house.  It originally had carpet when my grandparents built it, but the last owner ripped it up and found these beautiful hard wood floors.  I loved the red wall above the fireplace, but it didn't really match my salmon colored couches so it had to go. (For those of you thinking of painting a wall dark red...you will regret it if you ever have to paint it back.  I'm on my 3rd coat of paint with primer and think it needs one more!)


This is the kitchen.  Not sure what color the walls are.  Peach?  Anyway, though we are mostly moved in, we do not have a fridge or oven so I am off the hook for cooking!

The last owner used this room as her bedroom.  We will use it as a guest room for now.


This is our room . We were surprised to see that the last owner left us some sort of futon-bunk-bed.  We moved it to the guest room for now.  John was excited to see that there is a built in cupboard to hold a tv (which we do not have ;))
Here we have our master bath, painted a crazy chocolate brown color (on my list).  There is a tub and laundry shoot to the right that you can't quite see.
This beauty is an office in the basement.  As you can see, it has the original carpet :)  The closet used to have sliding doors but no one seems to know what happened to them.  John has claimed one desk for his computer and I get the other for my sewing machine!
We were also surprised to see the last owner left this bed in the basement bedroom.  (Pretty sure she just didn't want to lug it up the stairs)  

You may be surprised to hear that this is actually considered a "full bath".  This TINY bathroom has a shower (not tall enough for John to stand up in), a toilet and a sink.  Amazing!  Not sure who decided to put the brown tile with the bright blue but....oh well.
John has claimed this room as his "man cave".  We now have our tv and new couch down here and it is nice and cozy.  His ping pong table will also find a home here once we find someone strong enough to carry it down. (Izzy likes it too)

And last but not least, the patio/backyard.  We are excited about this, as are our dogs!  We aren't sure if the waterfall in the pond works but will figure that out once the rain stops!

There is also a nice big pantry in the basement where our washer and dryer will go.  Hope you have enjoyed your tour!  I will post "after" pictures soon!

1 comment:

  1. Liv, this is AWESOME!! So much fun getting into your first home, and making it YOURS. And also really cool that it has some sentimental value already!! I think once you're settled, you should have a BBQ in that awesome backyard!

    ReplyDelete