Wednesday, May 19, 2010

New Project!

This is kind of a random post but I'm pretty excited about my new skill. I decided after watching many hours of Ace of Cakes that I needed to learn how to cover a cake with fondant. So I watched a couple of YouTube videos, bought myself some fondant (I decided to take baby steps with this. Next time I'll try making my own) and made myself a cake. The pictures basically show how it turned out.



Here is what I learned:
1. Do NOT use a cake mix cake. The cake wasn't quite as strong as I would have liked. Next time I will use a wedding cake recipe or something a little more sturdy.
2. Don't roll the fondant too thin. I was trying to make sure I had enough to cover the whole cake and ended up making it a little thin.
3. Wear gloves when coloring fondant. It's not possible to not get food coloring on your fingers when kneading it into fondant. I even somehow managed to get it on my knees...

That's about it! It wasn't that difficult and only took me about 2 hours (including cake making/baking time) which I thought was pretty good for my first time! :)

3 comments:

  1. A-Dorable! I think I need to make myself a cake sometime. I LOVE those cake decorating shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! You should try a fondant cake. It really wasn't that hard but wait until the fondant at Michael's or Hobby Lobby is on sale. I got mine 50% off with a coupon at Michaels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wanted to do this for the longest time liv! I'll have try it out now after seeing your cute cake :)

    ReplyDelete