Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Finding the Good

What a day.  I just wanted to write about a "situation" I had at school today.  I am currently in a math methods class that isn't exactly my favorite.  It's not terrible but I feel like any time my teacher asks a question no one answers.  And to make matters worse she refuses to EVER give us the right answers flat out.  If no one knows she just waits until someone eventually guesses.  So anyway, she asked a question today that was a little vague and no one raised their hand.  After an awkward 90 seconds I decided I would answer.  So I raised my hand and gave my answer and this is how my teacher responded.  "That is not even close!  Where did you even come up with that answer?!  You aren't even on the right track" and then she proceeded to do the problem step by step and at each step say "Did you even do this step Olivia?".

Anyway...my face was red and I was about to walk out of class when I remembered something my grandma Ballam always told me.  She said if there was ever someone she really didn't like she would try to find something that she liked about them, even if it was the back of their head or their ears.  So I spent the next half an hour looking for something that I liked about my math teacher and this is what I came up with...  She is AMAZING at erasing the board. Seriously.  You know how some teachers erase most of their writing but leave one little line and you can't focus on the lesson because you keep looking at that spot and wishing they'd erase it?  Well...she is very thorough with her erasing.  She pushes really hard with the eraser and not only that, she double, and sometimes triple erases everything.  It is wonderful.  I never have to worry that she will leave a stray marker line on the board to distract me from my learning.  So...that is what I came up with.  And  everyday when she insults me or puts down my thought processes I will remember her erasing and how AWESOME it is!

That is all.

5 comments:

  1. Love this post! What good advice. I love grandmas, they're so wise :) Hope school gets better (not that sociology is any better in terms of awkward pauses). Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it. I totally would have started to cry or something, and just walked out. And I can't STAND when the board isn't erased well...those little lines, ugh.... I'm a little OCD about it I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh liv I love you!! I hate when stuff like that happens. but you definitely handled it admirably well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I am so BAD at figuring out this new fangled stuff. I'll try again. I think I already posted this somewhere, but here it is again. You know I have always loved you with all my heart Liv, but now I love you MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you proud of me? I DID my FIRST post on someone else's blog and I found you all myself! haha. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

    ReplyDelete